For years, the story of Nvidia’s advanced chips and China has been about Washington trying to keep them out. This week’s development flips that script entirely.
What’s Happening
The Financial Times reported August 18, citing two people with knowledge of the matter, that small batches of Nvidia’s H200 chips — one of the company’s most powerful AI processors — have been allowed to enter mainland China. ByteDance and Tencent have each received approximately 10,000 H200 processors in recent weeks, with a few other Chinese technology firms expected to secure similar shipments soon. This marks the first meaningful movement of H200 chips into mainland China since President Trump approved their export to Chinese customers last December, under a licensing framework that permits each approved company to purchase up to 100,000 units.
The Twist: China Doesn’t Want the Chips There
Here’s the part that inverts the usual narrative: according to the FT’s reporting, it’s Chinese regulators — not US export control officials — who are working to limit how many of these Nvidia chips actually end up operating inside mainland China. Beijing wants the companies to keep the licensed hardware outside the mainland to protect and encourage the growth of domestic chipmakers, and has told firms they may instead ship the H200 processors to Hong Kong, which operates under a separate customs regime outside mainland China’s border, and run the hardware from there.
That’s a genuinely unusual arrangement: compute that’s physically accessible to Chinese companies, but legally and geographically positioned outside the very industrial policy environment it might otherwise undermine. It reflects a deliberate strategic choice — Beijing appears more concerned about US chips crowding out domestic alternatives like Huawei’s Ascend processors than it is opposed to Chinese companies accessing advanced AI compute in principle.
A Slow, Cautious Reopening
This isn’t a sudden flood of chips — it’s a cautious trickle. A senior US trade official told Congress last month that only “very few” H200 shipments against approved licenses had actually taken place at that point, and this week’s reported 10,000-unit deliveries to ByteDance and Tencent represent the clearest sign yet that the previously stalled export pathway is finally moving, even if slowly and under Beijing’s own constraints.
Why This Fits a Bigger Pattern of Governments Steering AI Compute
This story is a mirror image of a separate US effort to police how Chinese firms access advanced compute — American regulators have been reviewing how Chinese AI companies rent restricted Nvidia chips through offshore arrangements to sidestep export controls entirely; see our earlier coverage of that review. Read together, both stories show the same underlying dynamic playing out from opposite directions: national governments increasingly treating access to advanced AI chips as a lever of industrial policy, not just a matter of trade compliance, and each trying to control the flow of compute according to its own strategic priorities rather than pure market demand.
Why It Matters for the Chip Market Broadly
This development lands the same week Samsung raised prices on its advanced 4nm and 5nm chipmaking services by up to 15%, citing AI-driven capacity constraints that have left companies unable to secure enough production slots at TSMC — a sign that global chip supply remains tight across the entire AI hardware stack, not just at the leading edge occupied by Nvidia’s most advanced processors. Even older-generation chips like the H200 carry real strategic and commercial weight in that environment.
What to Watch Next
The volume of future shipments will be the clearest signal of how this policy actually evolves — whether Beijing continues steering hardware toward Hong Kong specifically, or gradually relaxes its own restrictions as domestic chipmakers close the capability gap. Nvidia has not commented on the FT’s reporting, and Reuters said it could not independently verify the account, so these figures should be treated as still-developing rather than fully confirmed.
Sources: Financial Times via Reuters, Tom’s Hardware, Benzinga
Disclaimer: This content is meant to inform and should not be considered financial advice. The views expressed in this article may include the author’s personal opinions and do not represent Times Tabloid’s opinion. Readers are advised to conduct thorough research before making any investment decisions. Any action taken by the reader is strictly at their own risk. Times Tabloid is not responsible for any financial losses.

